From Puritans and Native Americans; through the founders and pioneers; to the immigrants of Ellis Island and today’s newcomers, Americans have used music, paintings, poetry, dance and architecture to express the essence of life in America.
Study materials are available for each unit. Take a look!
- Unit 1: Regionalism, Legacy, and Preservation
- Unit 2: Contrasting Traditions of the Puritans and Moravians (1620-1760)
- Unit 3: America’s Founders and Their Arts (1700-1800)
- Unit 4: Architecture, Soundscapes and New Directions (1780-1850)
- Unit 5: The Arts Shaped by Conflict (1820-1865)
- Unit 6: Americans on the Move (1810-1880)
- Unit 7: Native America Revisited, Immigrants and American Theater (1830-1920)
- Unit 8: Exploring the New and Preserving the Old (1900-1960)
Exploring America’s Musical Heritage Trailer